Walgreen’s Mobile Strategy:
Important Facts: 2 million consumers have an SMS relationship with the leading drugstore chain.Walgreen’s is the “trusted pharmacy” in the US - 8261 locations, 819 Million Prescriptions filled in 2011. Overall strategy is to deploy, test, measure, refine. deploy
Multi-channel Network; facilitates “Closest to our customers” aspect with 8261 Locations.
Critical Customer Experience Features
- Pickup in an hour, lead to redesigned site for better Ux
- customer experience improved
- 50% increase in web traffic
Provide “on-the-go” mobile experience
- mobile sites
- mobile apps
- 85% of Walgreen’s customers have mobile phones.
- 1/2 of the web site visitors say their next action is to go store.
- customers who engage in more than 1 channel were 3x more valuable than single channel customers
Walgreen’s Mobile platform
- 5 Scanning apps for scanning prescription bottle
- 4 mobile websites
- Integrated mobile experience award (Webby, People’s Choice)
- more than 40% of on-line prescriptions come from mobile scanning apps
- 98% of Prescriptions, order on-line then pick up in store
Mobile makes store visits convenience
- Pre-register for Flu-Shots
- Prescription management
SMS is 20 years old, LOL is the most common text message. People opt into SMS campaigns, 48 hours average person to respond to email, immediate response on SMS
People utilize desktops for initial contact and sign ups, but use mobile for follow ups Walgreen’s SMS programs focus on convenience.
- "we’ll text you when your Rx is ready"
- "we’ll text you - to remind you to refill your Rx"
- "place an order online- we’ll text you when its ready for pickup"
US Regulations have minimized some of the Ux and features of mobile apps for Walgreen’s
- although technology exists to scan Dr. written prescription orders, but it’s not legal to fill Rx based on scan. Questions regarding Rx must be replied to via phone call, not via SMS. - due to health privacy regulations
Initial attempts with Mobile coupons that were as SMS message didn’t work well, due to potential for fraud and store associate intervention with redemption. Learnings from this first attempt helped refine next generation of mobile coupon distribution; sms messages provided a link to download 2D or 3D bar coded coupon’s which required additional scanning equipment in store.
Coupon redemption rates depend on what product is being promoted, what type of deal is being offered. In-store mobile coupons are designed to increase basket size. Mobile and Online baskets are typically higher than non-pharmacy baskets.
Experimental SMS Mobile “Daily Living” Campaign - Chicago Only.
Online shoppers can place orders for pickup in-store. SMS notification is sent when orders are ready. Special parking space for store pickup is provided for added convenience.
Growing SMS lists through three channels Sign up in-store, Online, mobile sites/apps
Sign-up via SMS reply is important- shows increased opt-in levels
Simple marketing messages work well, complex (multiple offers/messages) aren’t as effective. 1 email, simple message with an SMS opt in= +18% daily Rx SMS opt-ins
Mobile efforts paid off; huge growth increases - Millions of app downloads
- +40 of Walgreen’s Rx comes from mobile shoppers. Avg 4-5 iTunes Rating (app store)
- Multichannel strategy makes retail interaction more convenient
- Mobile connects multiple channels to moment of need
- Mobile behavior and expectations are different but needs are the same
- Focus to develop mobile programs around these needs
- All channels should support each other, SMS grows apps, Web grows mobile, stores grow SMS. Customers don’t differentiate channels and aligns with retail brand experience.